On Monday, I began to do the 10in10. It’s ten weeks to healthy in 2010. It’s never too late to sign it. My goal is to lose weight, eat better, exercise more, try new recipes that are low-calories, low-fat. My boyfriend is also doing it with me, not that he has a lot to lose. He wants to lose around 15-20 lbs. We’re counting the calories with Calorie Count. I love this site. With Twitter, with the Hashtag #10in10 we can help and encourage ourselves. We’re a really great team 🙂 I’m proud to be part of it. It helps me a lot from the temptations.
This week, this is what I made :
I made this soup a few time. It’s one of my favorite. It’s filling enough (for me). I like the spicyness to the added Sambal Oelek. It’s easy to do in almost 30 minutes (maybe less for you, cause I’m slow when it’s time to cook.)
If you live in Canada and watch Food Network, you probably saw Ricardo and Friends. That’s his recipe.
Lentil Soup From Ricardo
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (I used turmeric)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced finely
- 5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock (I used low fat low sodium chicken stock)
- 3/4 cup red lentil, rinsed
- hot pepper paste or harissa (I used Sambal Oelek and 2 tablespoon, it was spicy a lot but we liked it)
- salt and pepper (I didn’t add salt)
- In a casserole, brown onions, garlic and curi powder or cumin in oil.
- Add carrots and sauté 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil, cover and let simmer slowly 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning.
Mushroom Barley Soup from Two Peas And Their Pod
Click here for the recipe.
This soup was a big hit for me, my boyfriend and my son. When my son likes something, it’s like we won the jack-pot LOL
Since I had only 1/2 cup of pearl barley, I added 1/2 cup of red lentil, rinsed at the last step when I had to add the cooked barley for the remaining 15 minutes. That way, the lentils had time to cook. It was perfect.
Mushroom Couscous With Morocan Flavors
4-6 serving but I guess it’s more 4
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used only 1 tablespoon)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced (big surprise here, cause I used 2. I don’t really like garlic LOL)
- 1 cup beef broth (I used low sodium low fat beef broth)
- 3/4-1 teaspoon cumin (I used 3/4 teaspoon and I should have use less, the taste is too proeminent for us)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (I omitted it)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron thread
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup instant couscous, uncooked
- Heat oil over medium heat then add mushrooms, onion, & garlic, saute till tender.
- Pour in the broth & spices the simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat & stir in the couscous.
- Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork. Serve alone or as a side dish.
We ate this couscous with steamed asparagus. We didn’t like this recipe of couscous. We don’t have the same taste, so that’s why I’m posting the recipe here. This is healthy and maybe some of you will be tempted to try it. If you like cumin and maroccan flavors, then I guess it’s for you.
We didn’t eat only that. We ate full of veggies. For me, that’s great cause I don’t really like veggies. I ate plain cucumbers. I brough banana and clementines to work and I actually ate them. Usually I bring fruits to work and I never eat them and on Friday, I bring them back home so my son can eat them LOL I’m proud of what I ate this week.
Also I drank lots of water. Probably also because I have a cold and I need it for my throat. I’ve been sick 2 days at home.
I wish you have a great weekend 🙂
Here is a drink I made last week and it’s really good. It can be healthy if you find unsweetened pear juice.
Stoli Spiced Pear Martini
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce pear juice
- 1 squeeze of fresh lime
- 1 lime, wheel garnish
- grated nutmeg
- Add vodka, pear juice, and squeeze of fresh lime to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake and serve up.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and grated nutmeg.