Here in Montreal, it’s been hot and humid for the last 2 days. This salad is perfect with this heat. It’s cold and refreshing. And the colors are great.
It’s great how our tastes can change as the years go by. A few years ago I tried hearts of palm and artichokes and didn’t like that. Now I like both in recipes. I can’t say I’d eat hearts of palm and artichokes only plain. Not sure yet.
Is there something you learn to like that you didn’t like before? You can share recipes in the comments 😉
Here is the recipe for the salad :
Costa-Rican Hearts of Palm Salad
- 2 (16 ounce) cans hearts of palm
- 1/3 cup choppedred bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon choppedparsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoonDijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth (remove fat)
- 1 tablespoonolive oil
- ground pepper
- very small amount salt (optional) (I omitted it)
- lettuce leaf
- Drain the hearts of palm, cut them into ½-inch pieces, and put them into a large bowl.
- Stir in the red pepper, yellow pepper, and chopped parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, chicken broth, and olive oil. Drizzle the dressing over the hearts of palm mixture and toss gently.
- Season to taste with salt (optional) and pepper.
- Line a serving bowl with lettuce leaves, spoon the salad on top and serve.
This salad would be perfect with a burger on the bbq 🙂 This recipe I made it 2 times in the last week. It’s very simple and it had a really good taste.
Barbequed Cheddar Burgers
- 3 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (I used 1 lb for 3 people)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, purchased (since I used 1 lb of lean ground beef, I used only 1/8 cup of barbecue sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- cheddar cheese, grated
- Mix first 5 ingredients and form into patties. Cook by preferred method and melt cheddar cheese on top.
I wish you all a nice summer. Enjoy!
I have to share with you that even in this heat, I’m knitting a hat with 100% wool. I’ll be ready for winter 😀
Hi 🙂 It’s been a while since I posted. I was on vacation for the last two weeks. One day we decided to buy a new kitten. So we spent almost 6 hours trying to find a cat we would like. And we finally chose this little kitten that is so adorable. We name him Garfield because of his color and also cause my son likes to watch this movie.
Then we went to visit my parents in Lac-Megantic (small town in Quebec).
The lake is beautiful :
If you want to see more photos click here.
We also visited Omega park in Montebello, near Gatineau. It’s amazing there. The animals are great. We saw wolves, my boyfriend was so happy as it’s his favorite animal besides cats. I still haven’t have the time to upload the photo. After we visited the Montebello Castle. Wow! So impressive!
To see more photo click here.
And we also made a few trips to Ikea. We changed our bed, duvet cover and my got also a duvet cover (he wanted this one so much that the next day we went back without him to buy him).
I haven’t cook a lot during my vacation. And when I did, I didn’t always took photo.
I made this bacon recipe, so wonderful. But again I didn’t take a photo. You really have to try this.
We also made these Garlic Lemon Potatoes on the bbq. My boyfriend really loved them.
I made these Vegetable Quesadillas. So yummy and easy to do.
My son is now at a new daycare. A big one. They are 10 in his group. He was used to go at a familial daycare with only 5 kids but the last months they were only 3. He really likes this new daycare.
Have a nice weekend 🙂 I’m going to cook wonderful recipes this weekend. I have full of tomatoes and cucumbers to use from my garden. Do you have great recipes to use tomatoes / cucumbers? I have to find different recipes. 🙂
I think it’s the best burgers I made. We all loved it. I found the recipe in the new cookbook I bought last week : Ultimate Barbeque
I made half the recipe cause we’re only 3 🙂 And I used an egg yolk.
Dawn’s Dream Burgers
The Ultimate Barbeque Cookbook
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce or hot sauce
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 lb bacon, cooked crisp
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil; set aside and reserve 1 cup of sauce. In a bowl, mix all of the burger ingredients together, including 1/2 cup or a bit more of the reserved sauce, to moisten meat.
- Make eight patties and grill until cooked to your liking. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, baste burgers with the remaining sauce. Serve with your favorite topping, such as lettuce and tomato.
This is a yummy different way to eat hot dogs. This is so tasty.
Santa Rosalia Style Hot Dogs
Serving: 4 Hot Dogs
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional) (I used half a jalapeno but I should have used it all)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (I used italian parsley)
- ketchup (optional)
- mustard (optional) (I used spicy mustard)
- mayonnaise (optional)
- relish (optional)
- cheese sauce (optional)
- lettuce, shredded (optional)
- Mix together chopped tomato, onion, cilantro and jalapeno and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium/high.
- Wrap hot dogs with bacon, securing with a tooth pick.
- Warm hot dog buns and wrap in foil.
- Grill dogs to desired crispness, turning often.
- Serve on buns with assorted condiments.