Hi everybody! It’s been a while since I’ve written here. As a new resolution for the new year, I’ll try to write more often. After all, I try so many wonderful recipes. :)
By the way, I wish you all an Happy New Year 2011! I wish you health. After that, it’s easier to have something else.
Me and my son were sick from beginning of November through last week. I just hope that he’s going to be better really soon. He’s so fragile to catch a cold and viruses like that.
Last week, I bought the new magazine of Ricardo. When I saw his recipe of gratin onion soup with tomatoes, I knew I had to try it real soon. I’m so glad I did cause it’s really yummy. Very different with the addition of grape tomatoes and port wine.
Gratin Onion Soup with Tomatoes from Ricardo
- 8 cups vidalia onions or 8 cups red onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups chicken stock (I used beef stock)
- 14 ounces cherry tomatoes or 14 ounces diced tomatoes (I used fresh cherry tomatoes)
- 6 slices baguette , lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion slowly in butter until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Deglaze with port wine. Add stock and tomatoes. Bring to boil and let simmer about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Put the oven rack in the middle of oven. Preheat to broil.
- Put the soup in oven-proof bowls. Put slices of toasted bread on soup and sprinkle with cheese. Broil in oven until melted and golden.