Since it was really hot and humid, I tried to do most cooking outside on the bbq. Yesterday we made these asian green beans on the bbq.
Asian Grilled Green Beans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced (I used green onion)
- 6 medium fresh mushrooms, quartered (next time I’ll add more)
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the beans, onion and mushrooms; toss to coat.
- Place half of the vegetables on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 inches square); fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 18-22 minutes or until beans are tender, turning packets over once. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
On Monday morning, we planted the veggies we bought and put seeds for carrots, sugar snap peas, green beans and green onion. My son put the seeds in the holes. It was really hot and humid to do that on Monday morning. I can’t wait to see all these veggies. I’ll have lots of tomatoes, I bought 4 different kinds.
On RecipeZaar I’m doing the Zaar World Tour, my favorite event there. For 2 weeks we’re cooking recipes from Asia and Germany. I love it. Yesterday I made this wonderful recipe :
Pork and Bok Choy Stir Fry
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 lb bonelss pork loin, cut into 1-inch strips (I used pork tenderloin)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 lbs bok choy, thinly sliced
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornstarch and sugar. Stir in white wine and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir fry pork in canola oil until lightly browned. Add carrots, garlic and ginger; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add bok choy to skillet and stir-fry until bok choy is wilted.
- Stir soy sauce mixture and add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Yesterday I made this rice pilaf. I had to add another cup of chicken broth and add a 5 minutes of cooking. But it was perfect after that. With the cheese in it at the end, it’s almost a risotto to me. So creamy and tasty.
No Zee French Rice Pilaf
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth (1 more cup after simmering 10 minutes cause there was no liquid left and the rice was not done yet)
- salt (for us, no salt was needed)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese like parmesan cheese, but don’t be afraid, gruyere, manchego, all cheese is worthy of worship (I used an italian cheese : Fontal)
- In 3 quart pan melt butter and saute onion and garlic until onion is limp.
- Add the 1 cup rice and continue to cook for 10 minutes or so, being careful to stir, until grains of rice are lightly browned and look opaque.
- Pour in chicken broth, bring to boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender, stirring a few times.
- Stir in cheese! Add salt to taste before serving.
I made this recipe and used boneless skinless chicken thighs. I let it marinate overnight. The flavors and great and it was so tender. Of course, we cooked them on the bbq.
Chicken in Balsamic Barbecue Sauce
- 8 chicken breasts, Medium
- 1 small onion, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar (I used brown sugar)
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 green onions, Chopped
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, Crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt (I omitted it)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (I omitted it)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, Finely Chopped
- tabasco sauce, To Taste
- Combine all ingredients except chicken.
- Marinate chicken in half the sauce for 3 hours or overnight.
- Put remaining marinade aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade, place chicken in foil-lined pan and broil until nicely browned about 20 minutes per side, or grill on the bbq.
- Heat reserved marinade and pour over chicken. Serve.