Meatloaf is pure comfort food to me. I like it served with mashed potatoes. It’s hard to do a yummy meatloaf that is also low in fat. If you have recipes to suggest me, I would like to see them 🙂
I did this meatloaf on Sunday. It’s heatlhy with the added bulgar. Maybe not the best. But with ketchup on top, it’s really good.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely diced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I omitted it)
- 1/4 cup bulgar wheat
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then oil an 8″x4″ loaf pan & set it aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add onions, carrots, garlic, savory, thyme & salt.
- Saute for about 3 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften, then add the bulghur & cook another 3 minutes, before removing from the heat & setting aside.In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef & egg, then add the sauteed vegetable mixture, mixing by hand until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan & bake in the oven 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned & the loaf is firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the oven & run a dull knife along the sides of the pan, then invert it onto a serving plate to release the loaf. Let sit about 5 minutes before slicing & serving.
And I have to share with you one of my favorite meatloaf recipe. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo cause the last time I made it was probably 6 years ago and I was not very good with food photo. But I plan to do it in the near future.
Meatloaf Stuffed with Mushrooms and Cheese
From Sarah but I took the recipe on the blog of Gourmandises d’Isa
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 ounces cheese, grated (you can try with any cheese, sharp cheddar is really good in this meatloaf)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb seasoned sausages, remove the links to be able to incorporate the sausages to the ground beef (it’s really good with italian sausages)
1/2 cup italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt (now I would omit it cause with the sausages it will be salty enough for our taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
Melt butter in a skillet. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic until water of the mushrooms has evaporated. (I liked when the mushrooms are golden)
Stop the heat and add grated cheese and stir to let melt the cheese (I always remove from the heat also) Set aside.
Mix remaining ingredients. Spread half the mixture in the bottom of a loaf pan and level with the back of a spoon. Spread uniformly the mushroom mixture on the meat. End with the remaining meat. You can add a little bit of water to the remaining meat so it’s more easy to work with. It will be easier to spread on the mushrooms. Level again with the back of a spoon. Brush the meatloaf with ketchup if wanted.
Cook in preheated oven of 350F for about 1 hour.
Wait 10 minutes before slinAttendre 10 minutes avant de trancher.