I have a sweet tooth. I love anything sweet. If I could eat anything without gaining weigh, I’ll eat dessert at each meal. But since January 5th, I’m trying to eat healthier so that means cut down on the sweet treats.
When I found this recipe that was low-calorie, I knew I had to try it. I love anything with lemon and desserts, even better😀
So here there are the famous lemon squares that have less than 100 calories each. I know the squares are small but it’s better than having none. And yesterday I had enough calories left, that I ate 2. I was so happy.
16 squares of 90 calories each
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (I used unsalted butter)
- 1/2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened creamy applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (obtional) (but I used 3 drops)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I omitted it)
Cream Cheese Icing:
- Cake: In a bowl, with a mixer, beat butter until light. Add splenda and eggs, and beat for 1 minute. Add applesauce, lemon zest, vanilla and yellow food coloring and beat until mixture is homogeneous.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, folding delicately. Spread the dough in a greased 8 inches square pan. Cook in center of a preheated oven of 350 F for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Put the pan on a rack and let cool.
- Icing: In a bowl, with a mixer (clean), beat cream cheese and splenda until creamy. Add lemon zest while beating. Spread the icing on the cold cake. Cut in 16 squares.
- Notes : you can add 2 tablespoon of ground flax seeds. This recipe can be doubled and put in freezer (without icing).